Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Sag Sack Sac SAC......

EXAM!
Time flies. Chem Mid Year is in 3 weeks. (Which means formal is also soon =]...and english oral. and GAT. =[)

I underestimated the difficulty of the paper after scanning through it the other week, really struggling now, got 7 multiple choice wrong (out of 20) for the STAV practice paper, not a good sign at all...that'll get me what...33? damn.
Our Head of Science / Chemistry textbook writer / Chem Teacher isn't really helping either. Only influence he has is confuse you even more...
After clarifying that the rule for the splitting in H NMR is number of neighbouring hydrogen ADDED together plus one few weeks ago, I thought the confusion for the rule is gonna come to an end...
But today, I asked about the H NMR of butane..and Mr. Wilko didn't know how to answer, so he researched on the internet. 10 minutes later he called me over, and went: It produces a heptet and triplet. (Me: Why heptet (7)?) Wilko: because its 3 TIMES 2 plus one (notice the rule is not times, it is adding) I was like..I don't understand sir. And he just went: "thats right Hans" and literally looks down and runs away from me to prevent further embarassment. rofl. But fortunately Tuck Seng discovered a much better explanation to the problem, and now I think we are the only ones at school with decent understanding to this problem, since none of the chem teachers (Mr. Collins aside perhaps) seem capable of understanding it (and therefore confuses all students).
sigh...who says private school teachers are a lot better.
but my target doesn't change. I musn't come out of mid year knowing that I drop any marks.
Another funny moment in chem today..
We were doing a prac, and we were on to the last stage collecting the aspirin crystals by filtering away the liquid. Ashok Rana (the 51/50 methods guy), being the extremely fastidious guy he is, adds the solution to the filter without looking...and 10s later he realises that he hasn't even put filter paper onto the thingo. He just looks up and smiles weirdly at TuckS and me. lol. And then the whole fixing up process attracted lotsa attention. freaking hilarious. haha.

Methods SAC in the afternoon. Having not done any exercises since chapter 6 (augustine and me lol), I was actually a little worried as I walked in pretending to be relaxed. But turns out that the methods department again proved to be incompetent to produce anything that is challenging enough to put the average score below 95%.
It was a 90 minutes SAC. TuckS stopped writing after 30 minutes or sth. I soon followed and began waving at Mr. Ramalingam for fun. By the 60 minute mark, rama decided to let people leave early, and half the examination room was empty by the 61 minute mark. My goodness. Some guys who made a mistake at the start had to redo the whole thing, and still manage to finish with plenty of time to spare. Now I just hope that I won't make a silly mistake somewhere, coz dropping 1 mark may mean A+ to B. (ranking system)

Spesh has dominated my time in recent weeks, good thing is that I'm very confident with integration now, just gotta improve the application and relearn related rates, then i'm good for next weeks life or death SAC. Why life or death? Coz I failed the first one. I need to score very well in this to redeem myself..or else it's over. Wish me luck.

Ok enough academics.
The upcoming formal is really exciting; it seems to be the only thing the asian group talks about during lunchtimes. I still have many things to sort out but hopefully everything will turn out fine =] it'll be a memorable day.

Last Friday I went to the Pines Library, met Katt for the first time. Despite me being a little unresponsive and slow, Katt was really nice and cheerful all along and kept me in the conversation. =] So it was fairly fun and relaxing. We chatted about quite a few topics and I also (surprisingly) managed to get a few spesh questions done. I also met her friends Gary, Sui-Ann and Rachel, lotsa laughter that day xD.

Football (Soccer) wise, all is good. After warming the bench for the firsts for 2 consecutive weeks, I played seconds last week against Peninsula.
As a new player to the team, I started on the bench. Not long into the game, Augustine Chuo unleashes a volley into the bottom left corner from Tambo's cross. 1-0. Prekash soon joins the scoresheet with a cool finish. Peninsula somehow scores one back out of no where, but jackson whittaker puts the game to bed with a good touch and shot into the bottom left(?) corner. Playmaker sam cheung adds another one with his left foot soon after, great strike. When I came on it was already 4-1, so I had lotsa fun on the pitch. Peninsula wasn't the best team, and our attack was fairly freeflowing, lots of nice passing and moves. Personally I'm pretty happy with my perormance, no goals, but had an assist for prekash to make it 5-1 towards the end. A sorta downside to the game was my curling shot which injured the keeper; since peninsula has no subs, their keeper exchanged roles with the defender. I hope their keeper is alright.

The Robinson Kids Under Cover Soccer Appeal charity event organised by Dan Lee and me ended last thursday. I must admit we slacked at times, but Mr. Rayner was always there to save our ass xD so all went well and we managed to raise 900ish dollars. However, we could've raised more if the hot chocolate fundraising thing went as plan...but oh well thats too bad. $900 is not bad for a first attempt, and most importantly, everyone enjoyed the event. Just by estimation, we get 150ish people on normal days (almost 1/4 of the whole high school) and I would say almost 250 ppl watching the final (and when teachers are playing), which is a very good turn out. Thanks for everyone who came to support us.
Here are some random stats:
Winner: JH United
Runners up: Nick Russell is our sub FC
3rd: All Stars
4th: We Love Kids
Quarter Finalists: Asian Five, D-Generation, HFC, Essence of Matt D
Top Scorer: Nick Krousoratis (7) of Nick Russell is our sub FC
Most scored in a game: Sam Cheung (5)of Asian Five
Biggest Win: Asian Five 9:0 Xexe
Surprise of the tournament: JH United 4:1 We Love Kids ; All Stars 4:0 Asian Five
Yellow Cards: Nick Krousoratis (diving)
Most Fouls: Mr. Cross (10000)
hL7's MVP of the tournament: Stephen Hatzikostas of JH United
Goal of the tournament: Salam Findakly of D-Generation vs We Love Kids
Moment of the tournament: When Mr. March scores; everyone goes crazy and celebrates
Most Popular Player: Mr. Carter
lol i'm being somewhat subjective...lol
Clips of the games will be posted up later
Thank you to everyone who helped Dan and me during the 4-week tournament:
Mr. Rayner, Mr. Martin, Mr. Bentley, Mr. Woolhouse, Mr. Beardsley, Mr. Crawford, Thomas Loo (Camera Man), Edison Mak, Bryan Yu, Daniel Huang, Ngun Tuck Seng, Angus Ho, Jacky Sing, Sam Cheung, Lawrence Leung, Phil Ha, Tom Dartnell, Michael Looi, Leo Cheung, Herrick Lam
Please tell me if i miss out anyone.
Photos!

Kristian Konstantinidis (KK)and Mr. Rayner's back


Ragheb El-Bay, Alex Tsindos


ReZZZZZZZZZZZZa, Sam Cheung, Daniel Lee, Herrick Lam


2 Asians 2 Indians and a rangaa vs D-Generation


We Love Kids vs JH United (No. 23: Max Scissere)

No comments: